Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fourth of July: Day 1


Warning!!

There will be too many pictures for 99% of you. And for you Grandma's, you may even get bored too. I am sorry, but it is my blog and I'll upload if I want to...

Day One of the Extravaganza: THE CHICKEN BBQ

Day one started with a 3 hour drive to Neola, which if you don't know, is the hub of all things patriotic. If you don't believe me, then you are stupid. I am just saying, it is sooo awesome! There is something to do from morning until even', all with a down-home country feel, full of good ole america love.

When I arrived in Neola (or as Todd calls it, "the Areola"), it was time for the chicken bbq. This is my freakish family's idea of fun. Service with a smile. Kind of silly. They spend all day cooking 900 halves of chicken to serve up for the hungry folk of Neola. 900 halves of chicken! That is 450 chickens! Gone from this earth, for one little towns bbq. My parents have done this for approximately 30 years with nothing to show for it except calloused hands and stooped shoulders.. Of course, I am kidding. They did it because they love the little areola town and all of the inhabitants.

Anywho... this year is the LAST year! My parents are retiring from the "community service" and going to hang up their patriotic hats. So, I had to get lots of pictures because this is truly THE END OF AN ERA! I have no idea what we are going to do with all of our free time around the 4th... Whatever it is, I can almost guarantee, it will not involve chicken.

Tanner helped my brothers cook over the open pits all afternoon. Those pits have seen thousands of chickens meet their maker. They look like it too. We should send those suckers to the Smithsonian.


Had a grand time, chilling with all my loved ones and friends from yesteryear. Ate my fill of chicken and drank some rootbeer and then it was time for the EVENT OF ALL EVENTS!!

THE KIDS RODEO!!



Blake, Sadie and Sai-ready to enter the arena


The kids rodeo is a little thing I like to call, "A parents worst nightmare". It is when you pay money to let your kids go into the arena and chase little animals around. And if by some small measure of bad luck they actually catch a critter, it becomes your property automatically. No, you can't put it back. You must take it and love it and nuture it and feed it, until you are hungry one winter day, and then you must kill it and butcher it and cook it and eat it. Sooo, every year I don't want to partake, but every year one or two of my children look at me with those eyes and... it is all over. I rush to buy them the tickets to catch an animal that I know I don't want. And because my husband has practiced with them for years, my kids usually catch something. SUPER! Well, this year was no exception.

Sadie with Midnight and Sai with the victim of next years bbq


Sadie caught a gorgeous little flop-earred bunny we promptly named Midnight. Then it was Luke's turn.

I sent a prayer heaven-ward and crossed all digits and waited by the fence to see if prayers really are answered. And the answer is NO! They are NOT! Not only did Luke catch an animal, but it is an animal that both he and Sadie have been begging me for. A kitten. That's right. A freakin' kitten. Who puts a kitten in with a bunch of chickens, bunnies and ducks? I think it may have been Satan. Luke would not be denied this gift from the lord of the underworld..

"Mom, can I keep him? Can he be my very own? Can he sleep with me? What should I name him?"


So, I called my dear husband who was in the middle of hell (the ER) trying to save a few of Lucifer's minions (patients). He informed me in no uncertain terms that neither Midnight or Oreo (the kitten) were allowed to come home with us. In fact, his exact words were this, spoken in a very lovely, hushed tone..

"I swear I will pack my own bags and leave if you bring any animals home with you!"



Before I had a chance to break the news to Sadie and Luke, Luke had a severe allergic reaction to the kitty!
Prayers are answered after all. As much as I didn't want a kitty, I was sad to see Luke's broken heart when he realized we couldn't take him home. Stupid Satan and his stupid kid's rodeo organizers.

Praise be to Heaven that Luke and Sadie have a Grandma and Grandpa Farm.
Every year, after the kids rodeo, Grandma and Grandpa inherit the booty from the animal chase.
Sometimes it is 3 or 4 chickens. We have had several bunnies over the years. We have even had a couple of years of pigs. But this is the year of the rodeo kitty, Oreo.
Blessed be Grandma and Grandpa.

Thanks for all of the memories of chicken, both alive and dead.
We love you and our 4th of July traditions.



1 comment:

Vicki said...

I love small town celebrations. We celebrate in Delta (UT) and they sure know how to do a rodeo. Thankfully, we don't get to bring animals home. They chase a cow and rip money off of him. WTH?
That last picture of Luke is priceless.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews