Shopping at Coronado
Playing in the waves at Coronado Beach
Biking Coronado 
At La Jolla Beach
After the shopping spree
At the airport (Todd is really happy)What can I say? I have a great life. Nothing like a little vacation to calm and soothe your spirit. Especially when it involves eating, shopping, sleeping in, and the beach. I loved the part when I DIDN'T change a poopy diaper and my second best part was when I NEVER cooked a meal. Oh and then there was the time I decided not to look at my watch ALL DAY!! Super awesome time with my Maddie and my sugar daddy.
This post may bore some of you. I am sorry if it does, but I need to chronicle this special trip for myself. I am so glad we did it. It was worth all of the effort and money to make it happen.
A couple of years ago, I heard of a family that takes each child on a trip at a certain age. This family lets them pick anywhere and they go when the child turns 9 or something. What a fabulous idea, I thought. Todd agreed and we decided to start with Maddie when she turned 14. Well, that was last year and it didn't happen. We put it off until her 15th birthday, which will be in a few weeks. So we let Ms Maddie pick (within reason) where she wanted to go. Initially she wanted to do a cruise, but we felt like that might be a bit too expensive, so with much discussion and thought, she settled for 5 days in San Diego. Todd and I went to San Diego on our honeymoon, so needless to say we had fond memories of the place.. (at least of our hotel room.. he he he).
For all of you who have not had the pleasure of rearing a child to his/her teenage years, you may not be able to relate to how courageous a thing this is. WE ARE PLANNING A VACATION WITH OUR TEENAGE DAUGHTER!! Do you understand the magnitude of this? Hmmm... I think you don't, so I can only say.. someday you will, friend, someday you will.
As most of you know, Maddie is a dear sweet child, always has been. But, she is a teenager and i am her mom. No matter how cool I think I am, she will always find me annoying. This trip she informed me that I was embarrassing her because...
#1 I was talking too loud. As a general rule, parents should not be seen OR heard.
#2 At the airport, I touched a strange man's bum that I thought was Todd's. I found it funny and tintillating--she found it humiliating
#3 I kissed my husband's neck "IN FRONT OF PEOPLE" (so disgusting)
#4 I was "mean" to a waitress. Her description of "mean"? I wanted ice cream, so I asked the waitress if there was a ice cream shoppe around, she replied that she could get me some vanilla or chocolate ice cream. I didn't want plain old ice cream, I wanted a shake or mix-in's or something fancier, so I told her.. no thanks, i want something naughty with reeses or something in it. "Mom, you don't have to tell her that" Maddie said when our waitress was out of earshot. "That was so mean" At the same restaurant, Ms Maddie got a cheeseburger that she HATED.. it had the little gritty, tendony, chewy pieces in the meat. So she only ate a few bites. But so the waitress wouldn't "feel bad" or "be mad at her" she asked for a to-go box. And then promptly threw it away when she felt like she was far enough away from the waitress that she couldn't see what she had done.
#5 I was always taking pictures. The most annoying thing I can do is try to take a candid of her. I will now document this with pictures. This is what I got everytime I tried to take a picture of just Maddie.


There was actually a couple of more shots just like these, but I think you get the picture (or not, as it were)Despite being annoying, I thought I was pretty fun and I think when Maddie wasn't being embarrassed by me, she was having fun too. We took her shopping for hours..just ask Todd. It was so fun to not be in a hurry and to not have Luke and Sadie pulling clothes off of hangers and hiding from me in the clothes and screaming and running from me as I am trying to leave the store.. but I digress. We went kayaking in La Jolla and saw sea lions and leopard sharks and funny sea-diving birds (pictures to be posted later from waterproof camera). We did yoga together (um, ya.. no pictures will be posted). We went to Knotts Berry Farms (story to come..). We went to the beach. We rode beach bikes all around Coronado island. We laughed and ate and relaxed together. She got to make all the decisions. I think it meant alot to her. I know it meant alot to Todd and I.
One of the most memorable parts of the trip for me, was getting to see Todd through Maddie's eyes and vice versa. Maddie and her dad have an incredible relationship and I loved being able to see that and how much they enjoy each other. I love Todd so much for being willing to do all the girl things we wanted to do and also for Maddie for always trying to be considerate of us and what we might want to do. She would do anything for her dad, it's just awesome to see the love and respect she has for him.
So here is to you, my daughter, my first born. You have taught me so much and have brought so much love into our home. You are an exceptional daughter and friend and we LOVE you and think you are just the best. You will be gone before I know it and my heart kind of freezes up when I think about you leaving home. My life started the day I had you and what will it be when you are not in it everyday?? I only hope that I can continue to annoy you for many years to come.
XOXOXO
Maddie's Jr. High BBall team

Maddie & Todd getting ready to go "clubbin"
Maddie, Steph & Rylie getting ready for girls camp
Maddie's 13th Birthday
Maddie and Chantelle on the deadly seesaw
Maddie, Steph & Rylie getting ready for girls camp
Maddie's 13th Birthday
Maddie and Chantelle on the deadly seesaw


5 comments:
Ok, that is seriously so cute you did that. You really are an embarrassing mom... the funny thing is I remember thinking all those things about my mom. Oh the vicious cycle. LOVE this trip idea... glad you had fun!
wow! what a GREAT the money to take them somewhere besides camping for a trip! LOL
that made no sense! LOL
i meant to say what a GREAT IDEA!!! duh!
i love my maddie! i am so glad that she has agreed to come live with me. i am glad you guys went to san diego and had fun. i am a lil' annoyed that you didn't take me (i guess that would ruin the parent/daughter thingie).
Stacy, Stacy, Stacy...you are TOOOOOOO funny! I just love you! Touching another mans bum...that is so like you...just kidding! And for Heavens sake, stop talking so loud! Oh...you would love the purse I got in Vegas....it is green and oh so ME! I thought about posting a picture just for you :)
Post a Comment