Oh yeah.
I am now in the category of "OVER 40"
I am now 41. I don't quite know how to feel about it.
On one hand, I feel like an 18 year old.
But on the other hand, and 2 other legs, I feel like I am 81.
That is so bad.
I should not feel like an 81 year old, but there are days that I do.
Days like February 11th, which was the day before my birthday. We had to celebrate on this day because of course there will be no partying on the Lord's day. Only hymn singing and meditation. So, my day started off bright and early- 7:00 a.m. (not right on a Saturday!!). Todd and I drug ourselves out of our nice warm bed and met some family members at a Crossfit Gym in Draper. Let me just say, there are a couple of things that can make me feel really crappy about myself... One is trying on swimming suits. The second is attending any sort of Crossfit Gym. I wanted to pick a fight after only a few seconds. Skinny little ladies with their ripped muscles. All cheery and happy. Stupid. Very very stupid. I am about to turn 41 and it is 7:30 a.m. and I am surrounded by Kelly Ripa look-alikes, all perky and firm. It just chaps my wrinkly old hide, I tell you. Of course, I have to also tolerate another unpleasantry of Crossfit- the feeling of nausea and extreme lethargy while trying to keep up with Crossfit Barbie. I left feeling very old. Like, 81 years old. And tonight I am still feeling the effects of this silly morning activity. Obviously, it is a good workout. Just look at the smiling, gaunt faces of the ladies who do it all of the time. Maybe I will try it again (NOT) when I am not grumpy about turning 41.
After the workout, I decided that I was depressed enough to binge on some carbs. So Todd and I whipped over to Einstein's and picked up some cream cheese and bagels. I myself had 2 bagels. I was that irritated. One was chocolate chip and the other was sesame with cream cheese. I mean, I was really irritated.
I then drew a nice hot bath and got myself ready for the day. Todd had to work the night shift so he napped and I took the kids to Pizza Planet. We spent a few minutes enjoying laser tag and bumper cars and bowling.
But by far we spent the most time on one of these...
The most assanine game ever invented. My kids always think they can win and we never do. I will tell you a true story. 100% true and I have witnesses. Tanner and I and Luke took turns trying to catch a particular frog. We had it in the claw probably no less than 4 times. Making it's way to the dumping station, it would fall off. Originally, I had told the kids we would each take one turn. Well, that turned into me taking 100 turns. I was not going to give up! But, we ran out of money, so I had to give up. The best part of this story, is we had quite an audience of children watching our stupidity. They would actually cheer as we would catch our stuffed frog and simultaneously groan when it would fall. As we forced ourselves to step away, a young girl stepped into place. She was confident. I said to Tanner, "I swear if she goes for our frog and gets it I am going to punch her in the kidney!"
She hooked our frog. And it didn't fall out of the claw. She dropped it into the collecting tray.
And had the nerve to smile about it. To my face.
The only reason I didn't punch her was because my old-lady arms were too tired from Crossfit.
Useless little T-Rex arms.
So super.
Ran home and joined my sweet husband at an afternoon movie. He took me to see "The Vow". What a sport, huh. It was actually pretty good and we enjoyed our afternoon out. Spoiler alert** there is quite a scene which involves Tatum Channing's bare bum for about a minute. I swear!! Why do I want to see his bum? I know it is a fabulous bum, but it is a fabulous bum covered up, in jeans. Why the nakedness? I just don't get it...
Came home to the drama of Maddie getting ready for Sweethearts. Zipper broke-what to do? But, disaster averted as you can see from my last post.
Was again assigned to take pictures for her and her friend, so went out to SoDa Row and took some fun shots. I sure wish I knew what I was doing, but I do like pretending that I do.
Rushed home and met my dearest friend Wendy ("cat lady"). We decided to go to another movie (I am old-I like to sit down) so we picked "A Man on a Ledge". It was good also.
After the movie, had to go to the grocery store and pick up some milk. Of course, I do. Because we all know that it never fails that I have no milk on Saturday. Thus, the late night run to Harmon's where Wendy snapped this lovely photo. And let's be clear-that is not my hat. She took it off a display and made me wear it while we were waiting to check out.
I feel like an arthritic 81 year old.
But, like most 81 year olds, I am happy.
Blissfully confused and happy.
I have a full and fun life with wonderful people.



4 comments:
Happy Birthday my eldest and wisest! You're a beautiful 41, but only look 21. Have a wonderful day! We love you! Mom
what the heck! i just read the above comment from the queen saying that you are the wisest. whatever. anyway...you look 21 and act 15. don't let anyone tell you different. love you sissy! happy birthday!
I'm ALWAYS so happy to read your posts....I laugh and laugh!!! I love my 40 year old friends...they are my favoritist!!! I am NOT even kidding! Why didn't you have another fabulous party? That's my only time I get to see you! Happy Birthday darling! And Maddie looks gorgeous...I love her dress too!!!
PS...you look just as fabulous as those so called "Barbies"...and you have a better personality too!
Stace Happy 41, I can't believe were are so old how sad. But fo sho your one hot lady. No way Dixie days were over 20 years ago. Anyway I'm with you on crossfit. I know it works but it totally sucks. I did for a month in December and pretty had asthma for a month. My friend has lost 50+ lbs you think that would be enough inspiration for me but I really hate anything to do with pull ups push ups and box jumps let alone sprinting outside in 15 degree weather breathing like a barking horse. If you go back and push through the torture get on my case and get me back there.
Post a Comment