The older my children get, the worse my nightmares become.
There is the nightmare of my 15 year old daughter, soon becoming 16. Dating, Driving. Taking college courses.
There is the nightmare of my 13 year old shaving, and having armpit hair.
There is the nightmare of me being 40 and having 2 children still in preschool.
One of the worst nightmares I currently have again involves my 13 year old scout.
Scouts-- not only is it frightening to send your son (who tends to be somewhat 'dense' when it comes to safety) to overnight camps, but I must trust that the males that are responsible for his safe return are not 'dense' and will make sure he returns to me in all of his teen glory. This is not to say that I don't trust our Scout leaders.. I do, for the most part. And the other part (the non-trusting part) is just because they are not females and thus can't possible be as nuturing and safety-oriented as a mom would be. Which is probably for the best, right? To be honest, I can't imagine a more dedicated group of scout leaders than the ones we have right now. I am thrilled to report that Tanner has survived several overnight camps, including 2 Klondike (who thought of this ridiculous thing-camping in the winter! Someone is for sure 'dense'!).
Just this weekend, the scouts were working on their cycling merit badge and so they planned and executed their 15 mile ride. On Redwood Road. At 5:00 p.m. on a Friday. So freakin' scary. I insisted (several times) that they remember to pray before they left and then I snapped a few dozen pictures. I was feeling anxious about this bike ride, but I didn't know how anxious, until I went home and passed by a mirror. OH THE HORROR! I had the biggest, fat-man-in-front-of-buffet, sweaty pit marks I have ever seen on someone my size. I mean, seriously- I may have excreted at least 1/2 pound of liquid out of my pits. Guess that is one way to get some weight off. Have your scout ride his bike with 15 other young men on Redwood Road at commuting time. You too, can reach your goal weight.
How embarrassing.
It could be worse though. I think Tanner's embarrassment was worse as I waited all of 30 minutes and then drove down Redwood Road to make sure he was still alive. I found them, alive and well. Yes, I honked and waved.
Now THAT is embarrassing! ("Hey Tanner-isn't that your mom with the sweaty pits driving by and honking?")
2 comments:
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I am living it just like you, but they did the biking merit badge 2 years ago. I worried during the whole 50 mile one... but we had a big neighborhood banner for them when they arrived home and it made it fun.
that is the making for some bad nightmares. i wish that i could have seen tan-man after his bike ride, but i am glad that he made it back safe! it was so fun to see you guys! thanks for the fun times this weekend.
Post a Comment