Friday, April 12, 2013

Shin Splints be damned!


Recently I made a very bad decision.
A decision I am sure to regret someday very soon.
The decision was volunteering myself to a Ragnar Team again.
Oh, Ragnar.
I did love you last year, but I feel as though this year, I may be pushing my luck.
5 pounds heavier.
1 year older.
Several injuries later.
One MD advisement to "choose something else besides running..".
What was I thinking?

Well, I will tell you what I was thinking.
I was thinking that I was 30 and could just put my mind to something and do it.
I was thinking that I wouldn't have to stretch for 10 minutes before and after each run, just like always.
Stretching is for OLD people. (HA)
I was thinking that I could WILL my body to cooperate with me for just a few weeks, until that glorious race weekend.

I was, obviously, NOT thinking.
I realize that there are a lot of people out there who run well past 42.
However, I should not be one of them.
I should be sitting on the couch, folding laundry and watching Ellen.
The only time I should really run is if a big ugly man is chasing me, or if my kids need saving. Or if I hear the ice cream truck...
Otherwise.. Momma should sit or gently walk.

My experience with running for the last 12-13 years has been that, most of the time, it is hard. The first mile sucks and then the last mile sucks. Doesn't matter how far you are going, that is the rule for me. Every once in a while, you get NIRVANA! A run that feels so good and exhilarating you feel like you could go for days-that your very legs are turning the earth on it's axis. Those runs, though few for me, are what keep me coming back.

I have had only one such run in my training thus far.
A chubby 42 year old, mother of 4, deserves more freakin' Nirvana than that.

I will gut this out, because that is the way I roll.
I will not quit.
I will not cry.
I will probable end up injured and treating myself in PT. (No co-pay! Winning!)
But, Ragnar will not beat me.
I don't think it will anyway.

Tomorrow is my longest run of my training thus far .. 6 miles.
I am putting it out there--I expect nothing less than to be rocked with the mother of all NIRVANAS.
Please.. I need some encouragement..and Aleve and Ice and an Epsom Salt soak.

Midway through Ragnar last year..Tired, but feeling good.

What will the Stacy of Ragnar 2013 look like??
Probably like an episode of "Walking Dead"

And more meme's and ecards because they make me happy...

















3 comments:

Em said...

Stacy! totally feel your pain! Injured my knee like 2 months ago and miss the days of a painless, 'Nirvana' run. Maybe I should come visit you at Tosh! So fun that you get to do Ragnar though!

Sara said...

hehehe! I am proud of you!

Jenell said...

I'm so glad you "weren't thinking" when you agreed to do Ragnar with us! We can be in the 'old ladies' club together...don't forget you are running harder legs than me, not to mention I am a few years younger. So I promise to be waiting for you at the transition spot, cheering you on and at the ready with your Aleve!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews