Monday, September 5, 2011

Bear Lake Reunion 2011



Us Rasmussen's (yes, I am still a Rasmussen) love us a party. We love us a party, or in other words, we love a reunion. Or in other words, we love to eat. And play. And laugh. We do not like showers, fat-free dressings or quiet.


The view from the deck of our cabin


We had ourselves quite a fun weekend at Bear Lake. We had gorgeous weather and fabulously dressed company (*sweats, stinky jammies, stale swimming suits) along with our nightly cocktail hour (*raspberry shakes) and very adult entertainment in the later evening (*playing hearts and Uno while watching the 10 0'clock news).

A RECAP OF THE WEEKEND (sooo boring for most of you..)

Arrived late Thursday evening to find Ty and Kim in a sweat. They had visited our rental and had determined that it was a) unsafe and b) hideous. They actually had to climb in a window to open one of the cabins because, as the owner informed them "the key had been lost for awhile." Filth and nastiness is not our thing, so they decided to quickly find another cabin for 25 people ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND. Remember, this is Thursday evening at about 6 p.m. What are the chances that we found something that we deemed appropriate? One quick prayer later plus a phone call to a property management place in Garden City and we had ourselves a new cabin, complete with doors that lock and lights that work. It was a wonderful cabin, perfect for our family (the church is soo true). We had 6 bedrooms with 9 queen beds and several pull-outs throughout the cabin. Plenty of space for our brood.

As you see from the photos, I come from a strong heritage of food hoarders. I can't imagine that any of my ancestors were part of any of the pioneer stock that settled this great valley we live in. There is no way that they could have brought with them the amount of food that we Rasmussen's would have packed for a journey so epic. We could have fed the entire church membership if we Rasmussen's would have been pioneers. Of course, it would have taken a freakin' semi-truck sized covered wagon to pull our food, but we would have covered every base. I am sure Brother Brigham would have appreciated a few food hoarders as pioneers. I think I have touched on this food hoarding issue before, but it became even more apparent this reunion that we need help. I wonder if Dr. Phil would take us on? Could we move into the Dr. Phil house and have him fix us? Even better, maybe we could just hold our next reunion there and forego any need for a rental. I am sure if he saw the ridiculous amount of food that we bring to these shin digs he would say something like, "like my daddy always says, that twinkie won't keep you warm at night and those doritos can't make you more attractive" (I don't know any real Dr Phil sayings, obviously!) Hey, Phil! My daddy always said, "Opinions are like asses, everyone's got one". Just kidding, Dr. Phil actually said that, not my daddy, although I wish he would have, 'cause I like that one.


Not just food hoarders, fruit hoarders.

I love this picture because I know Maddie will hate it.

Love you, sis.

We had a sweets box, a couple of salty boxes, a bushel or two of tomatoes, some fresh corn and potatoes. We had us a nice roast and some chicken tacos. We enjoyed doritos, cheetos, wheat thins, triscuits, saltines, fritos, popcorn, peanuts, grapes, fruit snacks, otter pops, oreos, fudge striped cookies, pumpkin pie, smoothies, lucky charms, frosted flakes... and that was just by 2 p.m. the first day!! Then there was pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and cinnamon rolls. Corn bread and peanut butter sandwiches along with some chip sandwiches (turkey, cheese, mayo and a layer of doritos). Of course, don't forget the rice crispy treats, jerky and granola bars.

I can't stand myself or any of my relations right now.

I love our tradition of being super efficient with our drinks.
We write names on everything.
However, at the end of each day there is always 25 empty cups with names on them and
48 half-empty gatorade bottles laying all over.
We rock.


So here for your enjoyment (mom) is a few pictures from our first day at Bear Lake.



My brother Ty, the bully.

We are so proud.


Maddie getting ready to tear it up on that knee board.



Brett trying to throw Maddie out of the boat.

She and Luke getting a little chuckle out of it.






2 comments:

Diana said...

I love your post and the great pictures! What a great time was had by all! Thanks for sharing.
Love, Mom

Sara said...

let's go back! i miss the food hoarding. there is nothing like having more options in your cabin than in the local grocery store.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews