Monday, March 5, 2012

Ni Hao and Tae Kwan Do

For those of you who don't know... I am quite a cultural elitist snob.  I take much pride in serving French Toast and Fries and eating at Panda Express and Cafe Rio.  I make sure my kids watch only educational shows that depict other cultures, like Ni Hao, Kai Lan and Spongebob Squarepants.  When my teens get home from school, it is always "Hola! Que Pasa?" and "Yo Mama!".  I mean, it is a bit embarrassing how fantastic I am as a cultural educator.

So... to toot my own cuerno (that's "horn" for you novice spanish speakers) I present to you my child's Tae Kwan Do pictures.  He advanced to his white belt.  Actually.. I don't think it was a belt, just a piece of yarn.  But, he was amazing I tell you.  He totally broke the board his first time!!  I was so proud of my internationally talented offspring.

And now... I go to the Chinese Immersion program meeting.  It is a program that has been started in schools out here in the city that spend 1/2 day teaching kids Mandarin Chinese (nothing but Mandarin for 3 hours!!) and the rest of the day trying to cram in all the english crap they need to know.  If we choose to do it, Luke will start next year (1st grade) and continue with the same kids through the program which ends when they graduate.  At the meeting, I am planning on finding out if learning Chinese will be too boring for Luke.  I think Luke may be ahead of Mandarin at this point in his knowledge gathering.  But, maybe it would be good for him-ground him, bring him down to his peer's level.

What am I saying?  I have indeed lost my mind.  No one in my family has any business trying to speak a second language.  We don't even have a firm grasp on our native tongue -"melk" (milk) and "mou'en" (mountain) and "pello" (pillow).  I am sure that I am biting off way more orange chicken than I should with this whole chinese immersion program.  I am quite sure my son will hate me for it.  I am still doing it though, because I feel it important for my children to be miserable.

I also plan on enrolling Sadie in it also.  That way, within 2 years, Luke and Sadie will be able to discuss me and my shortcomings in Mandarin Chinese right in front of me and I will think they are doing their homework.












3 comments:

Sara said...

oh my. how do you say hillarious in mandarin?

stacy said...

huān
欢nào

Diana said...

Such an adorable little man! Love him!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews