Friday, July 16, 2010

Girls Camp 2010

My two lovelies.. Katie and Mel


Beautiful Nicole..


Rinda, our certification leader, practicing knots on herself


Playing our version of Fruit Basket.


Rinda go boom playing fruit basket.


Maddie and Melody discussing important spiritual matters
(or fingernail polish)


Only a small portion of our 26 girls
So cute, just love 'em. 


Christina, Elizabeth and Maddie


Christina and a very alert Amber


Reading the scriptures


Maddie demonstrating how not to start a fire.
Kidding, she is a regular pyromaniac...

I got to go to Girls Camp with our ward this year.  Initially, I was excited to spend some time with Maddie and the other wonderful girls in our ward.  However, after our Zion trip, I was a bit exhausted with travel and being dirty and I just sorta wanted a break-you know, sleep  in my own bed.  But, I packed up and and sucked it up and drove me and 5 gorgeous girls to camp. 

We had a great ride up and I enjoyed watching the "young ones" laughing and talking and singing along to their glorious IPODs.  What would these girls do without their electronics? I'll tell you- they truly get anxiety when they don't have reception for their phones.  I had 2 of the older girls describing their condition to me: sweaty palms, tightness in their chest, itchy feeling in their thumbs, ears anxiously waiting for that tell-tell ring or vibration.  As their "bars" (reception)  decrease, their condition worsens.  I had to laugh at the furtive glances at their phones as they got further and further away from a signal tower.  Finally, no bars.  

Must talk to each other? Face to Face?

Must look at other human when communicating?

What do I do with my hands?

Need to text.  

Going to die.  

No reception.  

I feel sick.  

Must lay down.  

So disturbing, but so funny.

On the way home, I had one of these Electronic Socialites riding with me and of course she was thrilled when she finally got her bars back.  She was even more happy when she realized she had 15 messages (in 2 days, mind you).  Makes me feel oh-so-old and so unimportant.  I had no missed calls or messages.  

Despite a fierce migraine that I got to experience during my time at camp, I had fun with the girls and learned to love and respect them and the other leaders even more than I already had. I have hope for the future when I am around these future mothers and teachers.  I feel privileged to be associated with them.  

And I guess I should.. 15 messages in 2 days! Can we say "popular"?

2 comments:

shortandsweet said...

So glad to see pictures of Girls Camp. Valesca was so excited to be a youth advisor. Well, you may not have had phone messages, but at least I emailed you. (ha ha)

Anonymous said...

Hi dear! Are you in YW? Gag, I hate camping so I'm pretty sure I WILL be called to be camp director one day :) Okay so this hike on the Subway...I want to do it like BAD...where do I go to get permits and reservations? It was absolutely beautiful!!! Love you and miss you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews