After last years adventure at the Subway, Todd and I immediately knew we wanted to take Maddie and Tanner on this hike. We were able to get reservations for a permit and we planned our trip. I don't know what the kids were expecting, but I think the Subway did not disappoint!
It is the greatest hike and I love looking around at a large group of people and seeing a smile on EVERY face. We made some awesome memories this weekend, which I hope will always be with my kids. I am so glad I got to experience it with them. They were such great kids, and did so much better than I thought they would. No complaining, no whining, no being scared of any repelling-just got it done, like us rednecks do. We had a few minutes of nervousness when we were deep in the slot canyon and it began to rain. SCARY. But, we made it to a safe place and no rushing mass of muddy water rose up to get us. It only rained for a few minutes and then we felt good about pressing forward with our hike.
Our friends (Chris,Wendy & Brandon) and family (Braedon, Katie & Savannah) that went with us only made the trip that much better, we love 'em all! I am sure Maddie and Savannah will never forget Wendy rapping along with Salt and Peppa and her amazing Michael Jackson dance moves. She has some serious skills. We tried to talk her into being Maddie's DJ for her Sweet 16 party that is coming up. She declined, unfortunately. Brandon kept us all entertained (such a cougar magnet) and he is always such a gentleman, ready to help in any way. Chris is our go-to hiking guide and I NEVER want to do Subway without him. Maddie and I are still praying that he and Wendy will someday marry and raise up a little family..
After 2 full hiking days, we are all glad to be home. Our bodies were punished a bit, but it was TOTALLY worth it!

The glorious morning of our Subway hike

Check out Brandon with his knife.
He is a danger to himself and society.
Nice purse, dude.
First you can smack them with your yellow handbag,
then you can slice 'em.

Love this view.
Love these people..

These chicks are hardcore.
They are showing off their tattoos that we all decided to sport on our hike.

Mommy dearest and her spawn

Tanner in all of his teen glory!

We are family!
Slot canyon behind us is where we are headed.

Maddie cruisin' down the repel.

Getting ready to dip themselves or
are they peeing???

Rockin' the repel..

Sliding into the pool..

Yes, the water is cold! I couldn't believe these girls got in this pool.
This was completely optional at this point.
No swimming required.
They did it anyway.
So hardcore, I love it!

This is the sweetheart pool. You can't tell that it's
shaped like a heart, but it is.
So are the girls hands.

Todd is so thrilled that I have asked him to stop
so I can take a picture. The look says it all..
He really does adore me.
And I adore his freakish neoprene socks that he is wearing.
Only Todd could rock that look.

Everyone should get to experience this at least once in their lifetime.
I plan on experiencing it at least once a year.

Maddie attempting to slide.
Brandon attempting to catch Maddie.

Savannah and Maddie in the NOT hot tub

Maddie and Savannah had to hit every water feature, they were so fun to watch as they played around in the waterfalls and waterholes. It was even funnier when Maddie would flop on the ground for no apparent reason except to amuse me. However, I was the one with the most graceless fall of us all, so I guess I have no room to talk.

Maddie is no longer "bootylicious"
She now knows what it feels like to be grated cheese..

Striking a pose.
Tanner is much to good at this.
It makes me uncomfortable.

This is the last of the really cool water features.. the rest of the trail is
several miles of river walking-in and out of the water, on rocks, off rocks, in sand, over boulders, up the hill, down the hill, etc.. Endlessly following the river out of the canyon. It is quite a struggle for weary ankles and feet, but I still enjoy it. Then, the culmination of the
Subway trail is the climb out of the canyon--straight up. I timed it this year and it took me just over 12 minutes to get to the top. That may not sound like a long time, but when you are going straight up a canyon wall after hiking for 8 hours and it is late afternoon and you are hot and tired, 12 minutes is a long, strenuous climb out. But, I loved it too. I know--I am a sick twisted freak.

Tanner looks fresh as a daisy despite having just hiked a 9+ mile hike

"Savie" and Maddie at the end of the trail, waiting for their ride back to civilization.

Thank you, feet. You were very good to me this weekend. Now you must rest.

2 comments:
ah...that is kyle's favorite hike in the world--!!! this may be the first yr. he is not going down there. love the pics!!
I can't even imagine doing that Hike...even when I was in good shape! But, you make it look fun.
You guys are awesome.
Post a Comment