Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 2: Makalawena Beach


Seriously.. can I please go back?

My first view of the beach. I am not kidding.

Taking a dip in the fresh water pools.


I do not like the briar patch!


The trail thru the lava that leads to the beach.

I embrace the sand. I even made a sand pillow, thus the sand on my cheeks.



One word: MAGNIFICENT!

In my research of the island, I came upon several suggestions that this is the best beach on Hawaii. It is a bit of an effort to get to.. first you must travel a VERY rough road over old lava flow/rock and then you have to hike to the beach, probably about a 30-40 minute walk over the same lava rock. No trees on the hike, so kinda feels like you are in an oven. But then, you reach the beach and it is very impressive and peaceful. Beautiful white sand, gorgeous colors of blue ocean water. There are even trees for shade when you want it. We went for an adventurous hike (of course) thru briars and fresh water ponds. Scraped my leg up good, but I always feel better about my effort if there is blood or a bruise evident on my body somewhere. We had packed our lunch, which got wet in our cooler.. but we ate it anyways because we felt such joy and peace on this beach. Makalawena must mean "heaven" in Hawaiian.

We stayed here most of the day.. can you see why? Sorry for the yucky pictures. I was using my new waterproof camera, not my nice Canon. Sort of annoying to have a camera that you don't dare take to the beach.

After the beach, we went back to our resort and ate at the cafe by our pool. It was yummy. Went to bed fairly early.. ready for day #3 in paradise!


2 comments:

Sara said...

so jealous!

Em said...

Are you kidding me? This is so beautiful! Im glad you guys were able to go! And I hope you are feeling all better :) Oh yeah, and...totally jealous.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews