This was our first hike of the season. I am not sure what I expected, but a muddy mud-pit walk was not exactly it. Of course, my darling Maddie thought it would be smart to wear her new white flip flops which quickly became poo-brown and flicked mud all over her legs, shorts and anyone who happened to be walking near her.
We were hiking to Donut Falls, up Big Cottonwood Canyon. On the way up, I noticed the river-muddy, fast, deep, SCARY looking. I lectured all children that they would have to stay very alert and not get close to any water. Funny. Not only was there lots of water, but snow, ice and lots and lots of mud. We thought about turning around 1/2 way up to the falls, but by then we were already completely nasty, so we kept going. Sadie was loving it!! Especially when we didn't have to hold her hand. Luke was a trooper too. We got to the very last part of the trail, could almost see the falls, but the water was too dangerous-we couldn't get to our destination. We were not terribly disappointed, it had been an adventurous afternoon already. We ate our donuts (yes, I am terribly cool-I packed donuts for our "Donut Falls" hike) and then slipped and sloshed back down the trail. We ended the afternoon like we end most Sunday afternoons-chatting at Grandma and Grandpa Ashby's. It was a wonderful (laundry-filled) Sabbath day.
![]()
1 comment:
fun! hiking, mud and kids.
Post a Comment