He has a great coaching staff this year, including his crazy dad, who decided he wasn't busy enough and agreed to be an assistant coach. Tanner loves having him there and Todd really enjoys being there with Tan. Pretty fun to see them both on the field in their Bingham Blue.
First pre-season game this year and we all survived. I must say, every year I feel like it is a major accomplishment to get thru football season. If it is not surviving the hoops you must jump thru to get your boy signed up, then comes tryout week (which of course, corresponded with Tanner getting his wisdom teeth out and then our family vacation). Then comes the OFFICIAL weigh-in which, if you don't know, is PARAMOUNT! Then comes the draft and the formation of teams and then practices, usually everyday until school starts and then it is 3 times a week for 2-3 hours. And this is for even the 8 year olds! I sometimes wish Tanner could just set up a tent at the practice field and sleep there. I could bring him his meals and some beverages and he could make a nice soft bed of his pads and helmet and he could free me up some time.
The only reason I do it is because I do love football and always have. Tanner is a great linebacker and if we put some meat on his bones, will continue to progress and be able to really smash people like we know he can.
OK-of course I have to have an Ashby Adventure for this event. Game is at 3:20. I am determined to leave early, but it is 3:05 before we leave the house. That is because I have a list a mile long..
camp chairs, blanket, snacks, drinks, camera, purse, toddlers, grandparents....
Load everyone up and finally arrive at the field where we encounter NO FREAKIN PARKING. So we park on some canal road about 2 miles from the field. Then I feel like a sherpa as I load all of the chairs and crap and start the trek. We arrive at the gate and are paying our admittance fee (yes, we had to pay... the football community also likes to nickel and dime you to death) when my husband calls.
TODD- "Hey , can you do me a favor?"
I will say this might be the most annoying phrase in my marriage.
ME- "I can't hear you. Goodbye."
Just kidding.
ME- "Sure sweet helpmeet! Whatever do you need??"
Really just kidding.
ME- "WHAT???"
TODD- "Tanner's cup is not staying in place, could you run to a sporting goods store and get him a jock strap?"
ME- "WHAT???"
So, I finish my trek with the grandies and the toddlers to our place on the sidelines and unload my burdens and then re-burden myself with my son's sweaty cup. I march to my husband's car which is only 1.8 miles away and race to a sporting goods store where, of course, I have to pull out the cup and ask for help from the nearest male employee. He shows me to the jock strap aisle-ohh, the horror!! I guess this is payback for me sending Todd to get pantyliners at the grocery store. He informs me, darn, they are plum out of anything resembling a juniors size jock strap. So, I get the next best thing, some duct tape (kidding) and I leave the stupid store. I make it back, only missing a couple of plays. I rush to Todd with my glorious cup offering and this is his response..
TODD- "Tanner says he is fine without it."
Tanner played the whole game without his sweaty cup and new adult size jock strap.
Will it ever end?
![]()
1 comment:
i am laughing because it sounds like my life. don't you love when you kill yourself doing a "favor" and then the man is like, "oh..never mind. i don't need that anymore." well you could of told me that 30 minutes ago, you freak!
oh by the way...cool pictures of tanner. i got distracted.
Post a Comment