Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 5: Another Road Trip (Waterfalls and Hiking)


Holiness!!
When I started putting this day's pictures together,
I realized what a full day this day was.
This also happened to be the day that Todd and I planned..
go figure..

We drove and drove, but it was a pretty drive, so not too annoying
(except for the fact that my husband thought he had to be driver AND map reader).


What!? At least he is not texting...
He didn't trust his trusty copilot.


LAUPAHOEHOE HARBOR

Our first stop was Laupahoehoe Harbor.
This little pit stop was impressive, but sad.
In 1946 a tidal wave hit this little village.
It was right before school started in the morning and there were lots of kids
who were swept away and died.
Super sad..
The water here seems a bit angry and mean (think PMSing ocean)
I read a story about a big barge that was carrying a load of toyotas from japan.
It had some sort of problem and ran aground at this harbor,
toyotas everywhere...
The insurance adjuster who came to document the event for the company
flew over in a helicopter.
He decided he needed a closer look and insisted that he be put down on the barge.
Despite being warned of the danger, he was lowered onto the ship.

He drowned.

SCARY, MEAN WATER, I TELL YOU.



There are these massive cement barriers at the mouth of the harbor.


You may be able to make out the names and ages of the victims of the tidal wave.
The name above Lori's finger is a 3 month old..

I can't imagine that they launch vessels off this harbor, but maybe they do.
It was blocked off, but didn't look like it had been completely abandoned.


AKAKA FALLS

Next we were off to Akaka Falls.
Neat hike through the rain forest to get to this waterfall.
It happened to be sprinkling when we were there.
Hmm.. maybe that was just my sweat running down my body.
Freakin' humidity... stupid.


such cool jungly trees and vines and plants


Next it was off to...

WAUNAPUKE WATERFALL

Yeah, that's not it's real name.
That is just what I named it.

This hike was found in a book.
The book warned of it's intensity.
Bugs, rocks, water, steep jungle terrain.
Sounds like fun to Todd and I.

We had to hike for a bit to get to the waterfall.
Down a very steep ledge, holding on (and swinging on) jungle vines, just like Tarzan.
Climbing over river rocks.
Swishing thru the river.
Dodging spiders and their webs (everywhere).

OOOHH!! I love adventure.

Then we saw it.
Thru the beads of sweat (freakin' humidity), I saw it.
This is a self-portrait of the site.
Can you see the bead of sweat dripping off my nose
Waunapuke (as I like to call it) was a beautiful little waterfall.
Except for it's color.
Orangey brown.
Super nasty.
But, I really wanted to swim in a waterfall.
So I gritted my teeth (literally!)
and sealed my lips and swam in the Waunapuke falls.






This little ditty is what I got when I asked Todd to take a picture of me and Jodi swimming in the infected waterfall. Short little video of me in the water and then the sky.
So awesome.


Look at the color of the water.
Why are we still alive?

After our Waunapuke Falls hike, we drove to..

WAIMANU VALLEY




This was also a very amazing stop.
We later got to see this Valley from a very different view (more to come).
Super steep 4-wheel drive road goes down to the beach.
I thought it would be cool if I walked down it a bit and then
try to run up it.
Let me just say it is a 25% grade. Oh yeah, that is fun to jog up.


We didn't have a 4-wheel drive so we didn't get to go to the beach,
but still a very neat stop on our road trip.

We then went to one of the most popular of beaches on Kona.

HAPUNA BEACH

We didn't stay terribly long.
Long enough for this..


Then we wanted to try to catch the sunset from another very popular beach.

BEACH 69
(it is located off mile marker 69, you sick twisted perv..)


We watched the sunset from this gnarled old tree.

IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE HAD MY CANON!!!!
I had to make due with my point and shoot,
which really did not do it justice.

Such a lovely day.
With loverly people.






Seriously?






1 comment:

Sara said...

How did you do all that??? Sounds like fun, except for the spiders. No thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews