Friday, October 26, 2012

Doubles

Maddie has been asking for Tanner to go on a double date with her since he turned 16.

Tanner, being a man, was resistant to this.  Actually, he feigned interest to appease his sister, but then would never commit and actually call someone.

I knew the reason-I mean, that is hard. To call a girl.
Call, not text.
And speak.
With your voice.
Using English.
No texting.

So, Tanner was noncommittal.
Maddie become irritable.

So, I got Big Daddy involved.
And by Big Daddy, I mean my Big Daddy.
My sweet hunk of man meat, Todd.
My kids really have no respect for my opinion at all, and when I really want to get my way or to get them to listen, I just get the Big Daddy involved.

Typically, he only has to say a sentence or two.
My orations and arguments can go on for hours.  And hours.
But still, I get nowhere.

Big Daddy comes in the room.
Plops down on the sofa.
Looks at the child.
Calmly and peacefully asks them in respectful, polite ways..
what the hell the hold up is...
Well, not really.  That is what I do.

But, really. His mere presence makes my children sit up straighter and knock off their crap.
He is NEVER mean. Unlike their mother.
He is NEVER demanding. Again, I am opposite.
He is respected and loved.  Again, I am like the yappy little neighborhood dog that you want to kick when you walk by it.

Whatever, it's truly true.

Anywho, I digress.

Big daddy comes in and in a matter of minutes, Tanner is roll playing making the call to a girl.

The best 48 minutes of my life was then created right in front of me.

Maddie was the girl.  Tanner was himself.
He called her (Maddie, his sister) on her phone.
Remember- we are all seating in the family room - Maddie is 3 feet away from him, but he had to practice actually calling and speaking on his phone. Maddie offered to write him a script.

We roll played for nearly 32 minutes.  Practice makes perfect!!
It was quite entertaining to witness.  I wish I could have recorded it.
Tanner would have killed me.
In fact, I might die after this posting.
Totally worth it.

After all of that practice, it was do or die time.
Tanner wanted to DIE, but Big Daddy said, "No, you must DO."
So, he did.

I must admit I was terrified for my young one.
But, my fears were baseless.
He handled that 1st phone call like a pro.
Like a boss.
Unfortunately, the cute girl couldn't go-she had dance.  She asked if they could do it the next night-but no, Maddie was going to be gone.  So, bummer. Strike one, first pitch.

We were not about to let him stop now!!
You got the first one over with...Keep going!!
So, he calls the second girl.
Lots of very charming and calm words coming from my teenaged son-I was sure this would be it!!
Alas, she also had dance (is that this generation's "I am so sorry, but I have to wash my hair"?).  She asked her mom if she could miss it. NO was the response.  Strike 2.

CRAP.  My boy.. my sweet sweet little man child.
Okay, breathe Momma.
Big Daddy will handle this.
Gives him a pep talk. A butt slap.  A fist pump.
Tanner is back.
Ready to make the third call for his first real date.

He steps up to the plate, swings and HITS IT OUT OF THE PARK.
I witnessed it.
It was magnificent.

Maddie was thrilled.
Tanner was relieved.
Todd and I were exhausted.

Look closely-- I think the double date was a success.
It consisted of picking out pumpkins, slurping some Jamba Juice.  They came back to the house to carve the pumpkins, which I quickly shot down due to the many recent trips to the ER. Instead, they spray painted them and then I made them hot chocolate.

Thanks big sister Maddie for being willing to push your brother out of his comfort zone.
Thanks Big Daddy for once again, helping make my world a better place.
Thanks Tanner.  You and Maddie role playing calling the girls was the best thing to happen to me in about 2 1/2 years.  It was truly inspiring.
Thanks, Maddie P. for saying "yes" to my sweet boy and for being a good sport when he spray painted you and your very expensive sweater.










4 comments:

jaytee'sbtw said...

I loved every ounce of this post!!! Especially you comparing yourself to the neighbors dog....ha ha;-)
You know I absolutely love you!!
xo

Sara said...

I wish I could have been there for the role playing! Good job tan man!

Diana said...

Way to go Tanner! After facing such a monumental task, you can do anything! Thanks Stacy for sharing -- loved it!

Jenell said...

Oh, I am not ready for dating... Cole will NEVER role-play with Emma (did I say NEVER)?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews