Thursday, December 17, 2009

Silence = Trouble

The morning of my work party (that was to be held at my house), I was a bit panicky and overwhelmed with all of the things I felt I needed to do.  I decided to take an hour and workout.  Hmmm... 2 devious toddlers, no husband to watch them while I spin... not such a good idea.  

After 20 minutes on the bike and no noise from them, I got a bit worried.  I don't know what I expected, but I do know that I did not expect to find every stitch of clothing from 2 dressers to be piled on the floor.  AND, clothes that had been hung up were now part of the mountain of toddler clothes that became my new workout.  

What to do.. I couldn't breath.  I couldn't magically fix it.  So I grabbed my camera and recorded this life moment that is unforgettable and oh-so typical.  


Huge Party in 6 hours? Lets trash the place!!


When I asked them "why, oh why, do you hate your mommy?"- (not really how I phrased it)- Luke said they were playing dress-up with their stuffed animals and Sadie chimed in "Mom, they were weally cold!"

As part of this "teaching moment" I asked the kids to clean up their mess that they had made.  They got started and I went back and got on the bike.  When I was finished, I approached their room with caution, but up ahead... I could see carpet where there once was a heap of fabric... could it be?  did they really clean it all up?  Ha ha.. they just moved it from the floor to Luke's bed and started pulling out all of the books from the bookshelves..

I realized something very important today... our children are here to teach us patience and living in the moment.  This moment seemed a bit like a small piece of hell, but I lived in it and through it, and I know that someday, I may laugh about it.

2 comments:

Shannon and Cameron said...

I love it. I love your babies. Do you ever have the problem where you want to be mad at them and then you look at their faces and you have to stop? I love them.

This is hilarious and I love that you were out of breath on the video.

Sara said...

i love the sad looks on their faces in the picture. i love the video of sadie spending an hour trying to put one shirt on one hanger. and like shannon, i love that you are out of breath from working out. they are such cute little munchkins!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews