Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rasmussen Rendevous at Bear River Lodge: Day 4- Provo River Falls Hike

The Six Ashby's at the Rass Reunion

Loads and loads of estrogen
in such a small area could be dangerous
The boys in the middle of the river-
in the middle of a waterfall in the middle of the river.
This much "good judgement" in one area
could be dangerous.



Provo River Waterfall

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

If you are not a Rasmussen, or related to a Rasmussen, you may find this post very boring. You have been warned!!

I took 792 (yes, I am serious) pictures while at our reunion, dozens of which were fabulous.

I am posting a few of my favorites. I am so grateful to my Rass Family for a wonderful weekend of food, dirt, ATV's, swimming, food, picture-taking, hiking, sleeping, chasing toddlers & babies, watching movies, family debates, laughing, eating ice-cream, being eaten by bugs and applying aloe vera to sunburns (except for me and my toddlers- no pink/red skin for us!!)

We have a great family and lots of fun together. I was so proud of my Dad for attending our reunion.. You have to know "Grandpa Red" to know how much he HATES leaving home and traveling. I will always remember the summer we were planning to go to Disneyland. I was about 12 years old and was so excited because we had never been to California, or anywherereally-well, except to the Duchesne County Fair. The morning of our trip arrived and instead of the busy hum of a family getting ready for an exciting trip, there was a heavy cloud of doom in the air. Dad was not speaking, nor was he packing. He was busying himself with a myriad of tasks, none relating to Mickey Mouse or beachwear. My mom was looking anxious and informed us that we were not to ask "when are we leaving?" nor could we act excited about our trip, thus putting pressure on a father who was near a nervous breakdown. She secretly got us all packed up, never once disturbing my father as he took a leisurely bubble bath and then started repairing fence. We all (minus my absentee father) loaded up in the old suburban, still not quite sure if we were really going to get to go to California or not. We sat there for a few hours until Dad decided he was done torturing us and then he climbed in the drivers seat, said "Did you get everything?" and away we went. We got about a mile or so from home, when we ran out of gas. No. No. I am not kidding. Can you imagine the horror?? Actually, unless you know my dad, you can not possibly imagine the horror. Despite the rough start, we did eventually make it to Disneyland. I remember riding in the back of the suburban with my dad, windows rolled down, traveling across the endless desert and entertaining myself not with a handheld electronic device, but with a magic marker my mom had found in her purse (another blog post all together!). My dad became my personal work of art as I drew pictures all over every square inch of exposed skin. By Barstow, he looked like some creepy weirded-out tatooed man. We ended up having a great trip-- it was awesome. And he is awesome, despite his cantakerous ways when it comes to vacations and traveling. Thanks Mom and Dad for the wonderful vacation and endless love and patience!


Sadie mid-leap
We have to have at least 13 jumps from high rocks when we are hiking
or Todd and the "Todd"lers are not happy.

Dynamic Duo...

Sadie being the rest of the tree



Super cheesy!

My favorite picture of all 792...
Love my beautiful girls!

This is the Dennis the Menace face..
That means "I just threw something and hopefully
you will be charmed by this smile and I won't get in trouble"
Of course, he didn't get in trouble
(NOT because I am charmed by his smile, which I am)
it was because
it was a rock he threw into the river



My two little adventurers!
If you squint it looks like Pocahontas and her illegitimate 1/2 white child
down by the river washing off for their dinner of bison jerky

Again with the jumping from high rocks.
Yes, Todd looks very "special"
That's why the girls love him...


Sadie presented me with several bouquets of wildflowers

Grandpa Red, Grandma Farm and the Lukester

Again with the rock throwing..


Future Florists of America
Dandelions anyone??



1 comment:

cindy said...

What beautiful pictures!!! Your dad sounds JUST LIKE mine. Traveling, being away from home is not his favorite...

Those girls of yours and boys are priceless. Gorgeous, gorgeous

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews