Sunday, October 17, 2010

Donuts, dresses & don't ask/don't tell

There are some awesome benefits of living in a neighborhood filled with talented overachievers. One of my neighbors has a halloween party every year in which a few things are served up in abundance-

1. Hot chocolate

2. Homemade donuts

3. Various treats of the homemade variety

4. Haunted Hay rides

Everyone comes dressed up, unless they are lame, like me.  It is so much fun and I love that it extends the Halloween season for one more night of costuming and sugaring up.  

The party was Saturday and because of my chaotic life, I wasn't able to get Luke's costume until the thursday before the party.  I knew there wouldn't be a very good selection of costumes at this late date, but I was determined to put my shoulder to the wheel and push some people out of the way to get my 5 year old the costume he desired.  

We made the trek to Orem to go to the Disney store (how annoying that SLC doesn't still have one). And what a trek it was.  I thought it would be a good idea to go at rush hour, so we moved about as fast as I could have pulled a handcart.  Tanner was thoroughly annoyed at me because I made him come help me, so in order to appease him I had to stop at Krispy Kreme.  I mean, can you imagine how much I hated stopping to get some hot glazed donuts (those things are truly evil).  We arrived at the disney store after much trauma and drama (Luke touching Sadie, Sadie screaming that Luke touched her, Tanner expressing his displeasure about the whole affair).  Of course, I was right, and there were pretty much NO costumes left his size EXCEPT for the very cute Captain Hook and the very feminine Peter Pan.  No way was I going to let him be Peter Pan!  But Luke took one look at the gayish green costume with it's accompanying knife and "bowden arrow" (bow and arrow) set, and he was sold! I tried to point out the cool hook and sword that Captain Hook would be sporting, but alas, he was completely blinded by the choice of weapon.  

I hope his violent ways makes up for the clearly androgynous look of the Peter Pan costume.  I think everyone will be clear that he is all man when they have to pull the arrow out of their stomach or the knife out of their back.  

My princess Sadie who won't wear anything but dresses decided she must purchase the Tiana dress with coordinating shoes.  She is just like all of us women-her heels hurt her feet, create blisters and red spots, but she continues to wear them because of  their beauty. I am starting to wonder how long this "dresses only" stage will last.  Maddie never went through this stage, so I just don't have a clue.  Sadie will dig thru the dirty clothes to find a dress she deems appropriate. She has, on a couple of occasions, slept in her dress (and would do it every night if I let her).  I have put all of her non-playtime dresses out of reach, but this morning I woke up to find her step stools stacked on top of each other, stacked on top of stuffed animals. She had been building her own Tower of Babel.  She said she was trying to get her Santa dress down. Again, just like us women, she has specific things that she feels like wearing and it is almost impossible for me to refocus her on something more appropriate.  She ended up wearing the same dress that she wore at church yesterday.  Seriously, I am just glad she dresses herself, because my 5 year old Peter Pan, can't even figure out how to take his own shirt off.









Going right along with the don't ask/don't tell theme, 
this little boy's mommy came up to me and said she was a little bit 
worried about these two boys. 
She had overheard her little boy say to Luke 
while looking him square in the face,
"Luke, I just love looking into your eyes!"

I can see how it would be a bit confusing for him-
the long eyelashes,
the Peter Pan costume..


This darling creature that is trying to behead my Peter is wearing the very Captain Hook
costume that I desired him to wear.  She looked so cute and they are little 
buddies so it was fun to get some pictures of them together.  We (her mom and me) 
have already decided that this picture will be used for their wedding video in about 17 years.




1 comment:

Jenny and Brett said...

I love these pictures! I actually got Haylee the exact same dress and shoes!! They can be little twiners, except for Haylee has to wait for her B-day to get hers :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews