Saturday, September 25, 2010

Holy Crap! I am a Mother!


I just realized I am a mother. You might find that odd. And you should because I have been a mother for 16 years. Why the realization? Because I just spent the last 40 or so hours doing the same thing my mother used to do.. What is that you ask? Well, on top of that list is more of the canning... You know-the bottling, preserving, old-people crap. Got a bushel of peaches and went to town, just like my mom used to (and still does-she's freakin' crazy!). Only to be honest, I am quite sure my mom would do at least 3 bushel of peaches in the time it took for me to figure out what the crap pectin is used for. So, I once again spent the day on my feet, making my floor and every other surface in my kitchen sticky. I burned my hand twice, stuck my paring knife in my finger at least 6 times, pulled a hamstring lifting my boxes, not to mention I almost peed my pants because-- heaven forbid!-- I take my eyes of my steamer for even one second (Mom, you taught me well, "make sure it is steaming about 6 inches...no more! no less!!") I think maybe I swore, but it was not a young person swear word, it was an AARP swear work, probably a

damn
or a
bloody hell

Nothing racy, just an exclamation of my old-person frustration with the way my jam was setting up or the disgust as I found yet another bruise in a seemingly perfect peach. You know, the things that upset us mothers who have really become mothers. I find it a bit ironic that I feel a bit more like a mother after today, because as I canned, I did very little mothering. What mothering I did do, was from a distance...

"Don't jump on the couch at least not right after eating!"

"Don't brush Sophie's bum hole with that comb!!"

"We aren't eating lunch today, unless you can reach the goldfish crackers!"

"Sadie, I can't wipe you! Can you wipe your sister, Luke?"

"Maddie, could you do pick up Cafe Rio for dinner?"


Somehow, I don't think this was my best day as a mother. But, I feel so much more on the road to being like my mom.. a shriveled, arthritic woman who is bitter about the world and all of the fruit in it just needing to be canned. I love you, mom. Really, I do.



2 comments:

Sara said...

so heaven! jake has learned to cook his own meals this canning season!

kwgirl said...

LOVED the post, I thought that too when I canned for the first time 2 years ago...I was 50! What I keep wondering, is why does everything have to be ripen at the same time?
I actually haven't canned anything yet, but I can make awesome jam:)
Heather

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews