Saturday, September 11, 2010

Luke has issues


Today Luke wanted to ride his bike. It was a glorious fall day and the rest of the house was quiet.  So I picked up my copy of Mockingjay and my will to live (Diet Coke) and decided to relax outside and watch him ride.  Seemed easy enough. 

This is how it went down.

Me: Luke you have to have tennis shoes on to ride your bike, you can' t wear your flip flops.

Luke: I don't have tennis shoes.

Me: Tennis shoes are like your Sketchers.

Luke: No, Sketchers are not tennis shoes.

Me: Yes, the are.

Luke: No they are not for tennis.

Me: Fine wear your flip flops.

(The flip flops are an issue because they are 2 sizes too big, but he "had to have them" because they had Ben 10 on them)

We proceed to the sidewalk.  Luke gets on his bike, I sit down (I think for the first time today). Luke pedals 2 yards and then his shoe falls off and he almost crashes.

Luke: Why did you tell me to wear my flip flops?

Me: So sorry sweet child, why don't you get some tennis shoes, I mean, your sketchers on.

Luke goes in to the house and comes out with his Tow Mater shoes.  He can't seem to find his sketchers.  Cool.  Whatever.

Put the shoes on.  Luke gets back up on his bike.  Pedals, maybe 4 yards his time.  

Luke: My toe owie hurts in these shoes. I can't wear them.  (really fun whiney voice)

Me: You'll be OK won't you? (really fun whiney voice)

Luke: No.  You need to get a bandaid for my toe.

Me: Will you ride your bike for a long time if I get you a bandaid?

Luke: Yes.

I get up, slightly annoyed, get a couple of bandaids.  Bandage the toe.  Put Tow Mater back on.

Luke mounts his bike again. Rides for about 60 seconds, enough time for me to open my Diet Coke and find my place in my book.

Luke: The bandaids are falling off and it still hurts.

Me: (finding this whole adventure slightly funny at this point) Should we get a sock to cover the bandaids?

Luke agrees and we take off the shoes, rebandage the toe, put on socks and Tow maters. He is riding again in 3 minutes.

I take a sip of Diet Coke.  It is a glorious day.  Peace and quiet. Then Luke talks.

Luke: Um, mom.  The sock is squishing my toe and I don't want to wear the Tow Maters with socks. I will go find my Sketchers.

Me: Super.

Luke finds his Sketchers, puts them on.  I open my book and he starts his ride.  It truly was worth the effort to get him properly shoed and bandaged.  I am absorbed in my story.  I am escaping for a moment.  

Luke: Mom, I need to pooh.

Moment over.



1 comment:

shortandsweet said...

Ha ha! Isn't that how it always goes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
"I believe our problems, almost every one, arise out of the homes of the people. If there is to be reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured."

President Gordon B. Hinkley

my beautiful children

my beautiful children

Total Pageviews